- Now is the time to learn (if you haven't already) to walk away from arguments with your spouse. You can always say "Have your lawyer talk to mine."
- Practice politeness, even if it is forced.
- A little skepticism can go a long way. Your soon-to-be-ex may not be particularly inclined to be candid with you.
- Don't make agreements with your spouse or sign anything without first talking to your lawyer.
- Do not enter any sale agreements for your marital home or other real estate without first talking to your lawyer.
- Keep your case files and other materials related to your divorce safe and secure, especially keep such documents safe and away from any location to which your soon-to-be-ex has access.
- Don't fall for "ultimatums" from your spouse. Bring any offer or demand from your spouse to your lawyer. That's why you hired us.
Dealing with Your Spouse
Divorce is hard, and often it doesn't bring out the best in us. Your soon-to-be-ex spouse is no exception. To protect yourself in the uncharted territory of breaking up, here are a couple of simple suggestions. Keep in mind that these are just general suggestions and may not be applicable to you; do not hesitate to call Aasen Law Office at 605-390-0999 for advice and guidance for your unique situation: